Monday, August 24, 2009

New opportunities

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009908230326

My last post was about a new opportunity and I told you that I would fill you in. Well, the big news is this: I have been offered a chance to write for a couple of local publications including our newspaper.

It seems this 40 year old (wannabe) writer is being given a chance.

I have a lot to learn. Aside from research papers in college, a couple of essays and newsletter writing, my experience has been limited to blogging and fiction. Journalism is a whole different ball of wax. Thank goodness for a great and patient editor.

I have also been working on my first novel, The Geriatric Prom Queens, and still hope to finish it by the end of the year. Hopefully, someone will want to buy it once it's completed.

I always wanted to be a writer but never had the guts to "go for it". Thanks to one of my best friends, Paul, and my husband, Mike, I realize there's nothing stopping me. Being a writer is a dream come true for me and I'm so grateful for the opportunity.

Sorry that this is all about me today. I'm not really this self-centered:) Just wanted to bring everyone up to speed.

I've posted a link to the most recent article above.

~ Jen

6 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

CONGRATULATIONS to YOU!!! How thrilling! How inspiring! I'll totally buy copies of your book when it comes out, too--the title has me eager to read it!

Darcy said...

Wow! Thats great! I look forward to reading both your blog and articles in the Mansfield News Journal. What a great opportunity!

Jen said...

Thanks for the positive comments. Figuring out the time management situation is a big deal. Between writing and working, I have no life. It will settle down into some type of routine but it's just stressing me out a little.

Green Girl - You're lucky that you have a writers group to commiserate with. It's tough to try to fit writing in around everything else.

Darcy - How's NYC?

Filigree said...

Ah, so that's what you have been up to lady! Congratulations and keep us updated. Is a weekly cycling column in the future?

Jen said...

A weekly cycling column would be cool but not in the works...yet.

I just hope to get faster at putting out articles so I can resume some of my normal activities.

I really miss blogging. It's fun and creative. Not so "right brained".

sara said...

Most exciting. Best of luck. I love that you are going for it.